28 October 2007

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've been waiting for the right moment to read this one since it was recommended to me last spring in Spain. For exchange: Duras, in a way. So I had to really find the right time. The trip to Malaysia obviously was it.

A few days in summer; in winter. Before and after. When I was a kid talking about stories and film in particular, I always used to say: "when they get married, that's when it gets boring".

And once again, the man who leaves, for glory, for war, for the sea: sentimental enough to think it is the only answer to his restless soul. The Big Blue B-S. The malady of death. And the woman who knows he's phoney, but can't resist.

The group of boys reminds me of the horrible Simona Vinci novel "What We Don't Know About Children". And I do believe this novel is the key to my finally reading Moderato Cantabile. Seems they do have a connection.

No comments: