28 October 2007

Cinema Panopticum by Thomas Ott

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was shown some of Swiss Thomas Ott's art a few years ago and was amazed. After that his name slipped my mind and I've been looking for his graphic novels since, trying to explain his style to all my favourite comicbookstores with no result. Today was the day!

The stories are truly beautiful and very scary; absolutely wordless and meticulously drawn. They remind me of little else, but it's very obvious that a lot of my favourite artists have been influenced by Ott. And who wouldn't be by someone who can tell stories without having the characters saying anything?

Works like this convince me even more: the graphic novel in all its glory is superior to literature and cinema, even.

Check out some of the artwork.

No comments: