21 December 2007

The Book about Blanche and Marie by Per Olov Enquist

Photobucket

P.O. Enquist was the first writer to give me faith in Swedish literature. For real. It may sound really strange, I'm very aware of that, but until I read Downfall - a Love Story (Swe: Nedstörtad ängel) I was only interested in ntozake shange and Nuyorican poetry. Downfall is still one of the most perfect novels I know, the length, style, love, love... The Book about Blanche and Marie is not as perfect, but still really really beautiful. Enquist writes so stylishly, has a true interest in the subject of love; weaves in other stories he's written about, meditates over everything. The love stories of Blanche Wittman and Marie Curie are, the way he's interpreted them, fantastic and magical. Go read it.

No comments: